Best Types Of Water Exercises For Arthritis
Water exercises for arthritis are generally done in warm water. It is recommended that before beginning, you first relax and enjoy the water. When your joints and muscles have grown comfortable in the water, you may begin the following water exercises for arthritis.
Water exercises for arthritis that focus on the knee and hip involve flexion and extension, such as the following.
* Knee bends Raise your foot, and then straighten your knee.
* Knee to chest Sit down; lift your knee to your chest and hug (hands can also be under thighs).
* Knee lifts Stand with your hip against the pool wall. Bend your knee on the side of the opposite wall (thigh should be parallel to water surface), straighten your knee and then bend again. Lower your leg with your knee bent, alternate legs.
* Spread-eagle hip Sit on the edge. Straighten your knee, move it to the side and hold for 3 seconds. Bring it back to center, and then alternate legs.
* Leg swing Stand with your hip against the pool wall, knees straight, lift your leg towards the opposite wall to a comfortable height, hold for 5 seconds. Slowly swing backward, and then alternate legs (move only your hip and NOT your waist or neck).
Water exercises for arthritis that focus on the hands involve flexion, extension, supination, pronation, opposition, and circumduction, such as the following.
* Finger curls Curl your fingers into your palm in a loose fist and then straighten out.
* Finger hold Touch the tips of your thumbs to the tips of your other fingers to form an O.
* Thumb circles Rotate your thumb, making a large circle.
* Wrist bend Bend your wrists forward and back.
* Wrist turn Turn your palms toward the ceiling, then turn down towards the pool floor.
Other water exercises for arthritis focus on the shoulders, elbows, trunk, ankles, and toes.
The part of the body exercised should be submerged in water. All movements should be done slowly and should follow the complete joint range, without forcing movement.
Water exercises for arthritis are usually done in three to eight repetitions depending on the persons capacity. If pain is felt more than a couple of hours after a workout, it may mean overuse. If the pain persists, be sure to consult your doctor. In general though, this is very rare as water exercises for arthritis are very low-impact.
Featured Water Exercise For Arthritis Articles
Related water exercise for arthritis information
Arthritis Patients Sign Up for An Exercise Fitness Program
Arthritis results to disability of citizens over the age of5. There is a damage caused to the joints of one's body. There are various forms of arthritis. There is the rheumatoid arthritis which is a chronic and inflammatory disorder causing the inability of the immune system to function normally. The patient can suffer immobility because of the pain from his joints. This creates damages to the heart, lungs, blood vessels and skin. Then there is the septic arthritis that is...
Individuals on Arthritis Medication Often Drop Out of Exercise Programs, Research Reveals
Patients who suffer from arthritis may be looking for a "quick fix" and abandon their exercise program. This is not in their best interest. Clearwater, FL (PRWEB) June8,005 -- When the Food and Drug Administration recently pulled the popular drugs Vioxx (rofecoxib) and Bextra (valdecoxib) off the market because of safety concerns - and required stronger warning labels on Celebrex (celecoxib) - millions of arthritis patients and the physicians who treat them found themselves in the crosshairs of an ongoing...
Reducing Your Body Fat
There are a few elements to incorporate into your lifestyle that will help to reduce your body fat. Incorporate a few at a time until you reach optimum health. Your health and wellness depend on these few ideas. So lose weight and get fit, at the same time. Water Intake: The optimum amount of water you should drink each day is actually one-half your total body weight in ounces. I know how difficult this is so start out with 8...