Protect Your Feet With Water Exercise Shoes
Water exercise shoes come in all shapes, colors, and price tags; and as is true of all sports gear, what is ideal for your needs and preference is not necessarily the most expensive one. Consider the following before trying to decide among the wide variety of water exercise shoes available today.
Water Exercise Shoes – Why Wear Them?
One of the main reasons people switch to or integrate a water workout into their fitness routine is that it puts minimal stress on muscles and joints. A water-based regimen minimizes the danger of impact-related injury, while offering a relaxing yet energizing experience.
However, you must keep in mind that, unless you intend to confine yourself to deep water exercise where your body stays suspended, you will still experience some impact and stress on the weight-bearing joints of your body. And water exercise shoes will take care of absorbing that impact.
Another reason to wear water exercise shoes is that they generally increase resistance to your leg movements in the water, activating more muscle groups in your lower body (e.g., quadriceps, hamstrings, etc.). This boosts your metabolism, giving you an intense cardiovascular workout.
Water exercise shoes also give you traction to prevent slips and protect your feet from rough surfaces.
Choosing Water Exercise Shoes
What you look for in water exercise shoes are the same minimum requirements for any athletic shoe – comfort, a good fit, and traction. You should also check for the following:
* Do they provide enough cushion when jumping and running? The impact you feel when jumping on land will diminish by half in waist-deep water and by 85% in chest-deep water. Nevertheless, go for cushioning that you would be comfortable with even on land (especially for cross trainers) as this is one of the things that wear down the longer you use the shoe.
* Do they give enough ankle and arch support? Twist, turn, lunge, step, and roll your feet when trying out the shoe. Never assume that the water will minimize any pressure or discomfort—chances are a wet shoe will compound it.
* Do they have enough ventilation, drying properties, and a good drain port? You may enjoy water workouts so much that you schedule your sessions close together or on succeeding days; or you may eventually want to cross-train. Water exercise shoes should, at least, dry overnight or better yet, in a few hours. It will be terribly uncomfortable to begin your workout by warming up in damp, squishy shoes!
* Are they easy to slip on even when wet? Water exercise shoes should fit snugly yet have mechanisms for ensuring you will be able to slip them on easily when wet.
Lastly, check if the water exercise shoes have some add-ons. If the shoe is over $50, it is a good buy if it comes with a water workout video! At the very least, the shoes should come with a mesh bag!
Featured Water Exercise Shoes Articles
- The Truth About Options for Teaching Yoga Exercises
Yoga Hybrids: It could be argued that Pilates is a Yoga hybrid. I dont want to start a big debate over the Pilates Method. The founder, Joseph Pilates, was truly an innovator and way ahead of his time;...
Related water exercise shoes information
The Importance of Proper Hydration and Stretching
Whether you're taking a brisk walk or running a6 mile marathon, hydration and stretching are extremely important to preventing injury and to maintaining optimum fitness. However, there are many myths about both these things that have crept into most people's thinking. The number one myth about hydration is that you should let your level of thirst signal when you need to drink. This is absolutely untrue. Most athletes only replace about/3 of the water they lose when they follow this rule...
A swimming workout can be a new and refreshing way to get or stay in shape. Swimming is a full body aerobic sport that tones muscles, improves strength and flexibility, increases circulation, controls weight and enhances body contours. Swimming workouts give you a low impact activity that can easily be tailored to match your abilities. A good way to gain cardiovascular stamina is to exercise in a swimming pool. The secret to a good swimming exercise program is...
Hobbies and Everyday Chores Can Become Exercise Sessions
There are hobbies and household chores that involve physical activity. With a little imagination, you can have fun doing them and convert them into real body workouts. Here are some examples: GARDENING All the gardening activities such as squatting, bending, stretching, trimming, and sweeping are good exercise if done regularly. If possible, try not to use the water hose for watering plants. Instead, fetch a pail of water from the water source to the plants, alternately using your right and left...